ID Card

A standard ID (valid for 4 years) costs $36.25.

Renewal fee: $36.25

Replacement fee: $36.25, $5.50 for residents 62 and older

There are no age requirements. Anyone with a required Social Security card and the proper identification may obtain an ID card.

The ID card is issued at any of Alabama’s driver licensing offices.

No checks are accepted.

Check the Alabama Driver License page to find an Office near you. Each office has different hours of operation.

The Process

Visit an Alabama driver licensing office. Provide proof of your identity. Pay $36.25 for a standard Photo ID card. Have the following forms:

Your Social Security card

Acceptable proof of identification

Documentation Requirements

Along with your Social Security card, you will need ONE document from the Primary List and one other from the Primary or Secondary List. At least one of these documents must have your photo on it.

Please note: All your documents should show your date of birth and your correct current name. If your name has changed, you will need to show the document that proves that change, i.e. marriage license, divorce decree or court order.

Proof of Social Security Requirements

  • Social Security card
  • US Military form DD-214
  • If your Social Security number is followed by the letter “A” on your Medicare or Medicaid card you may use that card
  • W-2 tax form (shows SS number)

Primary Identification Requirements

Only originals or certified (with a raised seal, dated and signed) copies will be accepted. Your documents will be returned to you.

An original of ONE of the following:

  • U.S. birth certificate with a raised seal (certified copy). These are available at the clerk’s office in the county of your birth.
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • Alabama ID card
  • Alabama driver’s license
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Resident Alien Card
  • Foreign passport with valid U.S. immigration document

Secondary Documents Requirements (one needed)

  • W-2 form and last year’s filed tax return
  • Marriage license
  • Medical insurance ID
  • U.S. Military ID
  • Selective Service Card
  • U.S. Armed Forces driver’s license
  • U.S. military Form DD-214
  • Veteran’s Administration card
  • Current valid driver’s license from another state
  • Current ID from another state
  • School ID with photo
  • School enrollment form
  • Certified school record: letter from school (certified), GED certificate, diploma/certificate of graduation
  • Professional license issued by a federal or state agency
  • Any documents that reflect a name change, i.e. marriage license, divorce decree or court order
  • Release, probation or parole documents from the state or federal department of corrections with photo ID
  • Felon ID card issued by the sheriff of the county of the applicant’s release