Change Vehicle Registration Name

Do you need to change the name on an Alabama vehicle registration? Whether you’ve gotten married, divorced, or changed your legal name for some other reason, having the correct name is a vehicle registration requirement.

  1. Register Your Name Change with the Social Security Administration (SSA)

The first step in legally changing your vehicle registration is to make an official name change with the SSA. To do this, you’ll need to fill out and turn in an application, also known as form SS-5. You can find this form online and print it out to send in by mail or in person. Applications cannot be turned in online at this time.

Along with the completed form, you’ll also need proof of your:

  • Name change, such as a marriage or divorce certificate.
  • Identity and former name, such as a valid U.S. passport.
  • Citizenship status, such as your U.S. birth certificate or certificate of naturalization.

These documents must be originals. Don’t simply photocopy the documents or your application for a name change will be rejected. Instead, send the original documents along with your application to the SSA. If you’re nervous about sending your original documents through the mail, you can apply in person. However, there’s no reason to worry. The SSA will return your documents by mail after the application has gone through. You’ll get your new Social Security card within 14 business days, and from there, you can move on to the next stage in the process.

  1. Change the Name on Your Alabama Driver’s License

Now that you have a new name, you need a new driver’s license or Alabama state ID card. You can accomplish this at your local driver’s license office.

Be sure to bring:

  • Your new Social Security card.
  • Your current driver’s license.
  • The same proof of name change that you used before.
  • Money for fees. You’ll need $31.25 for a license or ID.

It will take a few weeks to receive your new license in the mail, but the AL Driver’s License Division will give you a temporary paper version you can use until then.

  1. Change Vehicle Registration

The next step is visiting your local Alabama Department of Public Safety (DPS) offices with all of your paperwork, including your new license, Social Security card, and all the other paperwork you used for the first two steps.

Also be sure to bring:

  • Your current vehicle title and registration papers.
  • Money for fees. It will cost you $15 for a new vehicle title.

Since exact procedures can differ depending on the county, be sure to call your local DPS office for specific instructions.